For a good number of people, swimming to the rhythm of their favorite tunes is a great way to make the most of the activity. With water being the enemy of most electronics, you’ll need a product that will not allow water to leak in
The best earbuds and headphones for swimming are water-resistant with the highest possible waterproofing level of at least IPX7 but preferably IPX8. They are be made up of lightweight and durable materials that work well in water. They should also be easy to operate and use. Features like internal storage, built-in MP3 player and Bluetooth are a good addition
The following is are review of the best waterproof earbuds for your swim plus a guide on features to look for and factors to consider when shopping:
1. H20 Audio Surge+ Waterproof Sport Headphones
The h2o Surge+ is also meant to be an all-round pair of headphones as it can work underwater and above it. With a rating of IPX8, you won’t need to worry about how deep you swim with these earbuds.
They give the appearance of normal earphones with a long cable having a 3.5MM jack at the end of it.
It also comes with five sizes of ear tips to provide comfort and fit all types of ears. You can thus swim as fast as you want without losing them to the water. This is further enhanced by the ear tips that seat plush with the ear.
The cord from the earbuds measures 3.6 ft which is long enough to hang the MP3 player on your wrist or waist and still swim or work out uninhibited. The result is that the earbuds can be used for all types of sports whether on land or in the water up to 12 feet.
- IPX8 waterproofing rating ensures it’s 100% waterproof.
- High quality sound in and out of the water.
- Comfortable yet tight-fitting ear tips.
- One year warranty.
- No MP3 player included.
2. Swimbuds SPORTS Waterproof Headphones
The second entry from Swimbuds is the Sports version of their waterproof earbuds. This pair of earbuds is a simple setup connected by cable with a 3.5mm headphone jack at the middle.
It has the highest waterproofing rating at IPX8 and can thus be used deeper in water and for longer periods of time.
The short cord for the earphones can be extended to 1 meter for when you have the MP3 player on another part of the body other than the back of your head. In our review, the sound quality of this earbuds was great both in and out of the water.
- It is IPX8 waterproof rating which is a guarantee of the safety of your gadgets.
- High quality sound in and out of the water.
- Different earplug sizes to fit different people.
- The cable can be extended to a meter.
- No MP3 player included with the earbuds.
3. Sony NW-WS413
The last item on our list is the Sony Walkman NW-WS413 with waterproofing technology and many great features. It functions both as a standalone MP3 player and a Bluetooth pair of earbuds. I love the sound quality especially when playing music from its one storage underwater.
It has one of the best build qualities as it comes with the trusted Sony design. The MP3 player also has storage options of 4GB or 16GB as you see fit. I obtained the 4GB one since most of my music is stored on my phone and need only a few tunes for the swimming. Lastly, it has a 12-hour battery life which is more than you need to swim each day.
- IP68 waterproof rating and also works in salt water.
- Battery life of 12 hours which is enough for several swimming sessions.
- Charges quickly with a micro-USB cable making it convenient.
- Storage options up to 16GB to store as many songs as you need.
- Works both independently and as a Bluetooth set of earbuds to play music from the phone or other source.
- Also works in salt water making it adaptable.
- Great built and sound quality.
- Works with most types of music including MP3, FLAC, WMA, AAC and Linear PCM.
- Not the most comfortable to use for long periods in the water.
If you prefer the tried and tested Sony products, choose this one as it won’t disappoint.
4. JBL Endurance DIVE – Waterproof Wireless In-Ear Sport Headphones with MP3 Player
JBL is a reputable brand all over the world especially when it comes to sound system. The endurance dive headphone.
The JBL Endurance DIVE wireless headphones are designed to be used while swimming and in all weather conditions. They are durable and made to last, no matter the elements.
- Bluetooth wireless heaphone microphone technology enables hands-free calling, so you don’t have to stop working out when receiving a call. Bluetooth wireless allows you to stream high quality music through your headphones without the worry of messy wires interfering with your workout.
- TwistLock and FlexSoft technologies, to make these headphones lightweight and ergonomically comfortable and stabile no matter the workout.
- PowerHook: The flexible and secure ear hook design automatically turns the power on/off when putting on or taking off the bluetooth headphones.
- BUILT-IN MP3 PLAYER. Thanks to the on-board 1GB memory, you can easily store and access more than 200 music tracks directly from your headphones.
- TOUCH CONTROLS: Allows you to easily manage your music and calls controlling play, pause, volume and tracks order with a simple touch for extra convenience, so that you can keep going.
- Fast charger-In just 10 minutes, you can power your headphones for an hour of use.
- The IPX7 Waterproof rating and sweat proof material.
Inasmuch as they are from a big brand they do not check all boxes. For instance, while most of the headphones have waterproof rating of IPX8, the JBL Endurance Dive has IPX7
5. Flextreme Waterproof Headphones with MP3 player
Another all-round set of swimming earbuds is the Flextreme by Pyle. It can be used in water at any depth as it’s rated at IPX8. You can then use it for running and other workouts as well.
It has a great battery as it’ll only need a charge after 10 hours of listening. As most swims last only a few hours at most, you’re sorted for a few days of great tunes.
The music can be easily transferred to the earbuds through a drag-and-drop method from your computer with most formats such as MP3 and WMA supported.
The design is a seamless one which allows you wrap it around your head without any distractions as you swim. It also comes with 2 pairs of earbuds for use in the water and 3 pairs for use in other sports outside the water.
- IPX8 waterproofing for swimming at any depth.
- Works with most audio types such as WMA and MP3.
- Battery lasts for 10 hours per charge.
- Can be used in and out of the water.
- The ear-tips may not fit everyone tightly underwater.
6. SYRYN Swimming Buds and Headphones
These earbuds come as an MP3 player with a pair of buds connecting to the player through a short cable and a 3.5mm port. All parts are rated IPX8 meaning they’re 100% waterproof and will stay working however long you swim.
The MP3 player has large buttons which can be used to switch songs, play, pause and even shuffle through your playlist as you swim. The fact that it clips on the back of your swimming goggles makes it very convenient to the user as you can reach the controls even within your swimming stroke.
It also comes with 4 pairs of earbuds to fit all types of ears tightly as you swim. If you need a longer cable, there’s an extension for that as well. Finally, it features a year of warranty for peace of mind and as proof of its quality.
- Small and tightly fitting.
- High quality sound.
- Cable can be extended when needed.
- Different earplugs sizes to fit different ear sizes.
- Long battery life.
- Storage for more than 2000 songs with 8 GB of storage.
- Can be used for hiking and other activities out of the water as well.
- No support for AAC audio files.
7. Underwater Audio HydroActive Waterproof Earbuds and Headphones
Underwater Audio is known for a lot of sound systems under the water among them this pair of behind-the-ear earbuds. The buds are highly watertight given the IPX8 rating.
They also feature uniquely-shaped ear tips that provide the best water seal in your ears. As such, you’re guaranteed to find the perfect fit for yourself as they come in various sizes.
At the end of the left earbud is a small cable housing the 3.5MM jack. You’ll need to provide your own MP3 player to plug into the earbuds for a swim. Given this design, the earbuds are great for a lot water sports such as swimming, kayaking, canoeing, SUP and many others.
If you find the included cable to be too short, you can use the added extension cable for a better experience.
- Very secure when in use.
- IPX8 waterproofing.
- The code can be extended as needed.
- Various ear tip sizes each with a tight sealing.
- MP3 player not included with the earbuds.
8. Tayogo Waterproof Swimming Headphones with MP3 Player
The Tayogo swimming headphones have a unique an adjustable design, that provides a secure and comfortable fit around your head. In addition to swimming, you can also use them for other indoor and outdoor activities that involve water.
- Humanized design spiral earplug, with 3-pair active sport earbuds fit perfectly in the ear without falling out or hurting your ear.
- Detachable USB main player,that allows add and remove music files anytime if you want.
- Built-in 8GB Memory that can accommodate up to 2000 songs
- Music File Management – Easy drag and drop files from iTunes for Mac or Windows and enjoy multi format (MP3/WMA/DRM/OGG/WAV/AAC-LC) playback
- You only need to charge mp3 for 2 hours and you can use it for 6-8 hours underwater of 3 meters.
- Waterproof and durable (IPX8) the MP3 player and headphones are designed for long period use in water
- Perfect for playing pre-loaded music in any conditions. You can switch Order Play or Shuffle Play according to your preference.
- Lightweight- this headphone has a net weight of 32g. Underwater listening music has no weight-bearing effect.
- This set has good heat resistance of up to 60℃. You can enjoy the music happily in hot spring bath or shower.
However, this set lacks Bluetooth wireless connectivity and you cannot stream live music.
9. H2O Audio Sonar Underwater Waterproof Headphones with MP3 and Bluetooth for Swimmers
The sonar underwater headphones by H2O Audio come as set which includes MP3 player. Apart from being easy to operate and control, you are guaranteed quality audio and music that will make your swimming sessions quite pleasant.
They are created with H2O Audio’s bone conduction technology delivers clear sound under water. You do not require earplugs! The speaker attaches on your goggles and deliver constant fail-safe sound by vibration
More features and benefits of these swim headphones include;
- A built-in MP3 player that fits ALL your music. Connect with MAC and PC with ease and download your music.
- Support for Apple iTunes music format (.m4a) and .MP3. Now you can simply copy/paste or drag&drop any music from your computer
- 8GB memory capacity that can store over 2,000 songs
- The SONAR compact and hydrodynamic design makes it seamless for your swim. It is easy to use with big buttons that have extra raised markings.
- Underwater Bluetooth connectivity- SONAR can receive music from your smart watch over a wireless Bluetooth connection. Just pair your smartwatch with the SONAR player and attach the watch on your swim goggles
- Wireless range on air is 30ft/10m and Bluetooth range under water is about 6″
- Waterproof Rating: IPX8, can be submerged to 12ft (3m).
- 7 hours of play time
10. Aztine Bone Conduction Headphones for Swimming
Aztine bone conduction headphones transmit sound by vibrations to the temporal bone. Open-ear design, release your ears, you can hear sounds around pool while you listen to music, both to ensure your safety and avoid to hearing damage caused by in-ear headphones and persons with damage eardrums can also listen to music.
IPX8, underwater 3 meters waterproof- In addition to swimming, surfing and other watersports these headphones are also suitable for running, fitness and hot spring (no more than 60°C) and other water sports.
Innovative adjustable bracket design for different head sizes, suitable for adults, kids over 10 old.
- 16GB memory, it can be store about 1600 songs,
- Support MP3, APE, FLAC, WMA, WAV 5 formats
- Play time 8 hrs, call time 4 hrs
- Bluetooth 5.0 version, connected quickly.
What’s in the box
- Aztine bone conduction headphones for swimming
- Charge cable
- Waterproof plug
- User guide
The Bluetooth signal cannot spread underwater.
What to Look for When Buying
The aspects to consider when buying earbuds for swimming include the following:
For the best underwater experience, go for earbuds with a waterproof rating of at least IPX7. Anything below that will only lead to eventual damage the more you use them.
Don’t fall for the erroneous notion that earbuds underwater should sound just enough. Instead, go for the best sound as that means you’ll enjoy your music as much as you enjoy your swim.
Comfort and Secure Fit
The best earbuds are to be comfortable and fitting tightly for the best experience. This improves on the sound quality while leaving you to simply focus on the swimming. It’s not a good experience when the earbuds fall out or let water into the ears as you swim.
While most swims won’t go on for more than a few hours, the higher the battery life the better. The good news is that all the reviewed units last at least 5 hours or better which is enough for a typical swimmer who needs 2 hours a day.
Wireless communication protocols such as Bluetooth are not very effective underwater. For this reason, ensure you get a set of earbuds that doesn’t use any of that. This is unless you use the latest Bluetooth technology such as bluetooth 4.2 and above which can be steady underwater.
The other aspects to consider is the length of the warranty and whether the earbuds come with an MP3 player, swimming goggles, extension cable or can be used with other MP3 players. Also, consider whether you can use the earbuds out of the water or not. These aspects help you decide on the best option
- Different Types of Swimming Strokes, Styles & Names
- What is Sculling in Swimming? How to do it
- How to Tread Water- Techniques, Benefits & Exercises
- How to Swim Freestyle: Technique, Tips & Drills
- How to Swim Breaststroke: Kick, Pull, Form, Drills & Tips
- Butterfly vs Breaststroke Swimming
- How to Swim Elementary Backstroke- Technique, Drills & Tips
- How to Swim Sidestroke-Technique,Trudgen &Combat Drills & Tips
- How to Swim Backstroke-Technique, Drills & Tips
- How to Swim Butterfly: Technique, Drills & Tips
Swimming FAQs & Ideas
- How Many Calories Does Treading Water Burn?
- Can you Swim with Contacts in the Ocean/Pool?
- Can you Open your Eyes in the Salty Ocean or Chlorinated Pool Waters?