Surfing, diving and other water sports are fun and therapeutic for us all. With the right and fitting wetsuit, you can have endless hours on the water without a worry in the world. Owing to the fact that most brands create suits for individuals with average body sizes, big and tall women and men can have a hard time finding a suit that fits them perfectly
The best Plus Size wetsuits for women are of size 16 and above and stretch enough to provide a comfortable fit, especially around the chest and waist. Tall and big men have thinner bodies and long arms and legs in general hence wetsuits with extended arms and legs are a good choice.
The following is a review of top extra large wetsuits for curvy girls, ladies and gigantic men
1. O’Neill Women’s Reactor Wetsuit
This list wouldn’t be complete without a wetsuit from O’Neill since it is a brand that makes some of the finest wetsuits on the market. This one is a Springsuit meaning it covers from the knees upwards to the elbows. Most importantly, it has sizes up to 16 for the plus size user who needs some time on the water.
It features seamless paddle zones which provide both comfort and protection from the cold. The collar is fully adjustable to get that snug and comfortable fit at all times. The hidden zip and breathable seams ensure that you’re always comfortable even in hot temperatures.
- Fully adjustable collar.
- Hidden zip
- Made of highly durable neoprene materials.
- Seamless paddle zones add comfort and style.
- Available in all sizes up to size 16.
- Breathable seams add comfort.
- Stretchable design allows for a snug fit.
- The collar can be tight for some users.
This wetsuit delivers all you need in a nice springsuit and much more.
2. Henderson Thermoprene Pro Shorty Wetsuit Plus Size 24, with Petite and Tall
A second entry from Henderson is this shorty type of wetsuit that comes with a front zipper. The neoprene has a stretch factor of 250% which means you can stretch the wetsuit more than twice its actual size and still have the assurance of a great and reliable fit from the wetsuit. At 3mm of thickness, it’s suitable for waters at 68°F and above.
It’s available in sizes from 4 all the way to 24. This means that everyone is accommodated no matter their body sizes and height.
The seams are glued and stitched to ensure the wetsuit fits snugly and holds its own no matter the vigor of the water sport you decide to engage in. Being a springsuit, can use it with any sport you like.
More size Specs
Size 16: Bust 44-49, Waist 34-41, Hips 44-50. Size 18: Bust 47-51, Waist 36-43, Hips 46-53.
Size 20: Bust 49-54, Waist 38-45, Hips 48-55. Size 22: Bust 52-57, Waist 40-47, Hips 50-58.
Size 24: Bust 55-60, Waist 42-49, Hips 52-60. Body length is 2 inches longer for Tall, 2 inch shorter for Petite.
- 3mm thickness allows for sports in water 68°F and above.
- Usable with multiple water sports.
- Has an aqua silk lining on the inside for better comfort.
- Velcro resistant outer layer for the wetsuit increases the longevity of the wetsuit.
- Had a self healing spine pad promoting proper posture and keeping the wetsuit in good shape as well.
- Minimized seams and larger neoprene panels keep excess water out of the wetsuit.
- Some find the spine pad restrictive.
- Slightly pricy
We love the fact that this wetsuit has a great design, feel and is available in all the sizes you’d thick of.
3. GluDear Women’s Plus Size Athletic Wetsuit
The GluDear Athletic Wetsuit is loved by many ladies thanks to its trendy design that’s different from the others. It is one of the cheapest wetsuit in this list. It’s a Short Jane Wetsuit which means that it has no sleeves but with legs up to the knees only. It has a colorful upper part that has been the reason lots of women love it.
The wetsuit isn’t all looks, however. It’s made from high-quality neoprene that stretches greatly giving the wearer a tight yet comfortable fit. We love the idea that it’s just one piece which means that it doesn’t have any points of weakness that might break apart as you have fun on the water. You simply pull it over your body and you’re done.
- Has retro ocean stripes that look great.
- Very affordable
- Made of spandex and polyester which offer comfort and a great fit.
- Strong and well-sealed seams.
- No underwire makes it comfortable.
- Breathable material allows for comfort and prevents overheating.
- Had a snug fit.
- Stretchy materials for a better fit.
- No zipper can be an issue for some users.
An easy choice if you want to hit the waters and you’re plus size. You also get to look great in this one thanks to the flashy ocean wave lines.
4. ZCCO Ultra Stretch 3mm Neoprene Wetsuit for Women and Men
As the name screams, zcco is designed with stretching capabilities that can accommodate almost any size of a human body be it curvy, tall, fat, or big. It is affordable and it comes with a super tight fit.
It is a versatile full-body, one-piece suit that can be used for various water activities including snorkeling, SCUBA diving, surfing as well as swimming.
Features and benefits of this wetsuit include;
- It is made of ultra-stretch neoprene 3mm thick
- Strong sewing-Overlapped sewing to make sure that the suit is strong and durable.
Anti-abrasion knee pad with very strong pad nylon offer better protection for your knee
- Comes with four small zippers at the arms & legs to make it take off or put on easily
- Comes with smooth and comfortable skin neoprene inner at the collar, arm and legs to stick your skin tightly & make sure that much less water come inside.
The wetsuit is designed to fit very tightly, so as to allow much less water in. This in turn ensures minimal heat loss from your body.
5. Cressi Castoro Plus Full-Body Wetsuit
The Castoro comes with features that make it not only comfortable but also long-lasting. It is made of durable 5mm/7mm nylon neoprene that provides enough warmth and comfort in especially when diving, swimming or snorkeling cold waters
More features of the Cressi Castoro Plus include;
- Pre-shaped legs for ensuring comfort and easy movements while swimming.
- The wrists and ankles are made with the Aquastop system (seals in smooth 1.5 mm Neoprene, covered in Metallite).
- A super durable zip made of quality YKK.
- Anti-wear inserts in Power Tex on knees, shins and shoulders for protection.
- Designed for cold waters (between 35º-45º F)
Though slightly pricy compared to other plus-size wetsuits it this list, the castor is a good choice considering that is from Cressi, a very reputable brand in the water sports equipment industry.
6. 7mm Women’s Thermoprene Pro Wetsuit Jumpsuit
This is the third entry from Henderson and a testimony as to their great quality when it comes to making wetsuits for all people. This one is available in sizes from 4 to 24. It means that everyone in need of a swimsuit is taken care of no matter their size or height.
At 7mm of thickness, it’s suited to waters from 62°F and above. For this reason, you can use the wetsuit for just about any water sports you need. The neoprene stretches up to 250%. This means you can stretch it more than twice its size yet still maintain its integrity.
- Available up to size 24 for plus size users.
- 10 year limited warranty.
- Has an aqua silk lining on the inside that provides extra warmth and comfort.
- DuraTex knee pads provide comfort and protection around the knees.
- The neoprene material stretches by an impressive 250% factor.
- Thick and may thus restrict your movements.
- Might not be a good option for warm waters.
A great option for the plus size lady looking for a good wetsuit with quality materials and good looks to match.
7. Henderson Classic Lycra Hotskins Skinsuits
Another one from Henderson with sizes available for both men and women, the Hotskins series features wetsuits made from either Lycra or polyolefin which make them stretchy and flexible.
These materials, besides being flexible and keeping you warm in the water, offer protection from irritants, UV rays and abrasion. They also have overlock seams which are great for keeping excess water out of the wetsuit and the integrity of the wetsuit intact.
- Made of polyolefin and Lycra for flexibility and protection.
- Overlock seams are stylish keep the wetsuit intact.
- Uses a YKK #5 zipper.
- Uv Protection
- Not good for cold waters
This one is a god choice for plus size surfers looking for something unique.
8. 3mm Henderson Women’s Plus Size Springsuit
This a springsuit which implies that it covers the whole body apart from the forearms and lower legs. As such, it ends at the elbows and knees while covering up to the neck. At 3mm of thickness, you get a wetsuit suited to waters from 72°F and above.
It comes with a front zipper which runs all the way from neck to the left knee. This design makes it quite easy to put on and take off. The curvature of the wetsuit allows it to perfectly fit the body of a woman as it’s slightly larger at the hips than what you would get with a male wetsuit.
The biggest advantage with this wetsuit is that it’s available up to size 24 which is major advantage for plus size users. It’s also made of high quality neoprene with a stretch factor of 100% and glued and taped seams to maintain its integrity.
With the larger sizes above 16, you might incur a bit more as they require a higher quality of crafting, sealing and general construction than the others.
- Available from size 4 to 24.
- 3mm thickness for warm waters (72°F and above).
- Uses a front zipper that runs all across the body.
- Glued and blind stitched seams that are strong and lasting.
- 10 year warranty on the zipper and 5 years on the rest of the wetsuit.
- Fitted with a Lycra trim.
- Adjustable collar.
- Usable with many different sports.
For a springsuit that fits all sizes, this one is clearly the best.
More Big and Tall Wetsuits for Men include;
100% super stretch neoprene for maximum flexibility in the water. It is available in various thicknesses up to 8mm and with a hoodie to go with it, this is the wetsuit for the big guy who wants fun in cold waters.
A hooded wetsuit at 7mm and in large size fits just about any adventure in cold waters.
Come with a 7mm PyroStretch Neoprene that provides an incredible stretch for a perfect fit.
With this wetsuit, any man can conquer just about any water body they want in this wetsuit.
Wetsuit Tips for Plus size Individuals
Among the aspects to consider when choosing and using a wetsuit as a plus size individual include the following:
Know your body size
This means that you need to take measurements of your height, waist, chest and other areas to match with the wetsuit you want.
Consider the temperature of the water
This will mostly determine the type and thickness of the wetsuit you want. You can’t pick up a springsuit when going in freezing waters for example.
When you are a plus size individual, you’ll need a wetsuit that’s easy to put on and take off. That’s why we prefer wetsuits with zippers also some without can be just as easy to use.
- Best Hypoallergenic Wetsuits for Neoprene Allergy
- Best Hooded Wetsuits for Women & Men
- Best Warmest Wetsuits for Cold Water Swimming
More on Wetsuits
- How do Wetsuits Work?
- What are Wetsuits Made of? Types & Top Brands
- Wetsuits Colors: Why Black? What is the Best Color?
- Wetsuit vs Dry Suit
- How to Properly put on a Wetsuit, Remove+ Dos & Don’ts
- What to Wear Under Wetsuit: Female, Men & Triathlons Undergarments
- How Tight/Fitting should a Wetsuit be?
- Wetsuit Thickness Guide + Temperature Chart
- How to Wash a Wetsuit + Best Cleaners, Shampoo & Soap
- How to Dry a Wetsuit + Best Drying Hangers & Racks
- Wetsuit Storage and Care Tips