A SUP trailer is an excellent way to carry your paddle board. It’s also a great solution for those who are looking to use their bike more frequently and enjoy their SUP boards as well. The trailer and the bike can also be a great workout riding the bike just before you hit the water.
With some DIY skills, you can make your own SUP trailer for bikes and it won’t cost much money either. The following are details on how to create a DIY bike trailer for your paddle board; the tools, materials and the steps.
DIY SUP Bike Trailer
To make your own SUP bike trailer, you need the following items:
- Bungee cords with hooks
- Nylon rope with buckles
- Sewing machine to sew the straps together
The steps to making a DIY SUP bike trailer are as follows:
- Locate the D-ring or anchor strap at the front of the SUP board. Some boards may have more than one such ring while others may not have them.
- Put the strap underneath the paddle board then clip it together in the middle.
- Insert the strap through the D-ring on the paddle board. This will be the bottom of your paddle board. Turn the board over after this.
- Place the other end of the board on the SUP wheels.
- Add bungee cords to the SUP wheels to hold it in place.
- Hook the other end of the nylon strap to the seat of your bike.
- Place the paddle board accessories on the board and secure them in place.
- Ride away!
Just like that, you will have your own SUP bike trailer with which you can carry your SUP boards to and from the beach. Removing the SUP from the trailer is quite easy and self-explanatory.
If you have no time, you can simply get a ready-made bike trailer from Amazon. One of the best is the SUP Wheels Evolution with strap handle. With this combo, you can easily attach and detach your paddle board to your bike without the need for permanent attachments.
The handle comes with the following features
- Easy hold with no slipping, no suction cups required
- Easily holds wet or sandy paddle boards, SUP, surf longboards or Kayak
- Adjustable to hold all standard lengths of boards 5 to 14-foot boards.
- High-quality nylon webbing material, saltwater resistant
- Can be used with other types of wheels
The wheels are the types that won’t flat, they are foldable, float easily, salt and water resistant.
If you do not like wheels that the handle comes with, you can try other alternatives such as the Bonnlo carrier kit. This comes in cart design with NO-Flat Airless Wheels and two 2 Ratchet Straps. Setting it up with handle is easy and straightforward
The benefits of sup bike trailers include;
- Easy to set up and use
- Lightweight and portable
- Ideal for short distances
- They can be used of narrow and inaccessible roads or rough terrain like dirt roads or uneven ground without damaging them while also being able to ride bikes off road
- SUP trailers allow you to carry your board wet without ruining the inside of a car or truck
- Trailers are convenient, faster and easier than carrying boards on one’s shoulder for a long distance
- SUP Wheels for Paddle board Transportation
- Best SUP Carts and Trolleys
- Best SUP Carry & Tie Down Straps
Transporting your Board with a Bike without a Trailer
Without a trailer you can use racks that are specifically designed for bicycles. The racks come with a design that allows you to attach them to your bike to create a holder or hook into which your board will fit. Unfortunately, most of the racks are meant for short boards. Be sure to check the length of your board before trying these bike racks.
Following are some of the best bike racks you can buy online to carry your board.
MBB Longboard Racks – on the side of the bike
The MBB Longboard Racks attach to the frame of your bike thus allowing you to carry the board on the side of the bike rather than hauling it behind you. They come with their installation instructions on how to install them on your bike. In my experience using them, they’re quite easy to use.
The benefit with this is that you occupy less space on the road and have a single body to move which is safer than a trailer behind you.
Ho Stevie! Surfboard Bike Rack.
This is made from eco-friendly materials. It is quick and easy to install. All you need is to simply it to your seat post (hardware and instructions included) More features that the ho stivie bike rack comes with include;
It works with almost all types of bikes including, Beach Cruisers, Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, BMX Bikes
Lightweight and strong aluminum construction won’t rust or corrode. And because the color is “anodized” into the aluminum rack, it won’t chip off like paint.
However, it is not designed to work with lightweight seat posts (titanium or carbon fiber)
Futher Reading: Best Paddle Board Roof Racks for Cars, SUVs and Tracks