Water sports ought to be enjoyed by everyone no matter their size, height and other differences. However, the equipment available for these sports aren’t always accommodating. Paddle boards, for example, are among the water sport equipment meant to accommodate people with different needs.
With paddle boards, having one that doesn’t accommodate your weight isn’t fun at all. You’ll either be falling off easily, using excessive force to make it move and other annoying issues. For this reason, you need a paddle board for your specific weight.
We have compiled a list of 10 of the best paddle boards for big people. In our view, anyone above 250 pounds is considered big and that’s our focus in this review. They not only accommodate large people, but tall people as well and are among the most durable paddle boards on the market.
10 Best Paddle Boards for Big Guys
Big guys and girls should rejoice since our list has the best paddle boards no matter your size. They include the following:
1. Isle Megalodon 15 ft Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
If size is what you’re going for, then the Isle SUP board is your answer. It has a weight capacity of 1050 pounds and is crafted to accommodate many paddlers on it. In our reviews, we established that 4 paddlers will be comfortable on this board with each one having enough space to move around easily.
This doesn’t in any way mean one person can’t use it. In fact, it’s quite comfortable and can be used for many activities with a single person using it for fishing as it has enough space for bags and even a chair. If you’re an average to small person, however, this one will be too big for you especially when all you do is waterboard.
We loved the idea that such a huge paddle board is inflatable. This allows for easy transportation as it’ll not fit into most trunks. You can easily fold it up and inflate it once you reach the water with the included pump.
With 4 paddles included with the paddle board, the whole gang can enjoy some time on the water on one board. You also get a carry handle, removable fins and everything you’ll need to get started. In our view, it’s the easiest when it comes to reducing the time between buying and using the board.
You can use it on the river and the sea with equally great performance especially with the removable fins. The fins work best on the sea and will need to be removed for the river paddle to prevent their damage from rocks. With the included bungee and D rings, your safety and that of any gear you’ll carry with you is guaranteed.
- 1050 pound weight capacity.
- Can be used by 4 paddlers at the same time.
- Can be used for fishing and other actives even accommodating a chair and bag.
- Inflatable for ease of transportation and storage.
- Comes with 4 paddles, carry handle, bungee, pump, removable fish and D rings.
- Works in all water conditions.
- Can be too large even for single average-sized paddlers.
This is the best paddle board no matter your size. Accommodating multiple users is a great addition we loved.
2. Red Paddle Co. Voyager 12’6”
Another large and highly recommendable paddle board if you’re a large paddler is the Red Paddle Co.’s Voyager. It has a larger sibling measuring 13’2” by 30” although the one reviewed is the sweet spot when it comes to paddling for most large guys.
It’s an inflatable paddle board that can be easily fitted into a bag for transport and storage. The good news is that it comes with its own backpack with added wheels for even better movement. It comes with a Titan pump to make the setup process a whole lot easier.
The paddling process is quite a joy and, with the high quality materials, you’re guaranteed of enjoying endless sessions on the water. It allows up to 20 psi which is far tougher than the typical 15psi or less in most paddle boards. This offers better control and stability for the rider.
- High quality materials for longevity.
- Inflatable for easy transport and storage.
- Comes with Titan pump for fast inflation.
- Inflation to 20psi for better stability.
- Has rail battens for better stiffness.
- Comes with carry bag, 5 carry handles and 10 storage D-rings.
- No paddles included.
Even without an included paddle, this paddle board is one of the best your money can get you. The fact that there’s a larger version of it makes it even better.
3. Isle Airtech Inflatable Board
Coming in variants of 11 o 12 feet long (each 6 inches thick) and with a weight capacity of 300 pounds, this inflatable paddle board will work for anyone within this weight capacity for most water activities possible on a paddle board.
This paddle board is large enough for all water activities and in most conditions. You can do yoga, carry pets with you, tour the river, do some fishing and many other activities. For keeping your cargo in place, it has a 6-point front expandable bungee system combined with a 4-point rear expandable bungee system. As such, your gear will always have a place to be stored in.
It’s also a full package as it comes with all the necessary accessories for your water fun. These include a carry backpack, a paddle, a coil, leash, high-pressure pump, and a snap-in travel fin.
The paddle board and all the accessories are made of high quality materials with the board made of military-grade PVC that’s 6 inches thick. The paddle shaft is made of carbon fiber while the blade of the paddle is made of thick and sturdy nylon. The traction pad is grooved and it has a soft brushed EVA traction. This makes it durable yet very soft for use with the foot and knees without falling off.
- Accommodates up to 300 pounds of weight.
- Can be used with most water activities including yoga.
- 10-point expandable bungee system for storing your gear.
- High quality materials for longevity.
- Inflatable hence can be easily stored and transported.
- Comes with all accessories including pump, paddle, coil leash, snap-in fin and carry backpack.
- Quite costly.
This is an all-round board for all your paddling needs with the accessories to make you easily get paddling in no time.
4. California Board Co SUP
The California Board Company’s SUP has a weight capacity of 300 pounds and the first solid (non-inflatable) paddle board we can recommend for the big guy. Not only is it large and accommodative, it’s also made of high quality material to provide a stable and comfortable experience.
The board is made of EPS foam at a high density and quality. The whole board is waterproof to ensure it’s not damaged by the water as you paddle your way on it. These aspects are backed by the fact that it’s quite wide and thus very stable.
The board comes with all the accessories you’ll need to hit the water. These include a leash to keep the board with you in the event of toppling over in the water, a paddle that’s adjustable, and a camera mount for your videos.
- 300-pound capacity.
- Made of high quality EPS foam.
- Waterproof structure for longevity.
- Comes with adjustable paddle, foot leash and camera mount.
- Can be hard keeping in the car owing to the large size.
If you’re into solid boards and bigger than the average guy, this is the best option for you.
5. Tower Paddle Boards Adventure Inflatable 9’10” SUP
The Tower Paddle Boards Adventure Inflatable SUP is one of the most optimized paddle boards you’ll find on the market. It has an average size yet supports an incredible 350 pounds of a rider.
It’s an inflatable board which means storage and transportation are well taken care of. It comes with all the accessories you’ll need in a board from a pump, adjustable paddle and carry-case.
At almost 10 feet tall and 32 inches wide, this board provides enough space for proper balance for the big paddler. The non-slip deck ensures that you always get the proper grip and control fo the board.
The material is 6” thick which provides safety and durability from rocks and other objects in the water. It means that you also get a highly durable board that will last for ages.
- Weight capacity of 350 pounds.
- Measures 32” wide for stability.
- The material is 6” thick for durability.
- Comes with pump, adjustable paddle, deck pad, removable center fin, strap and carrying strap.
- Non-slip material.
- Best size for speed and quick maneuvers.
- No high-pressure pump hence may take a while to pump it fully.
This inflatable board easily outdoes some solid boards when it comes maneuvering the water at high speeds.
6. Tower Xplorer 14’ Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
The Tower Xplorer 14’ is a large inflatable SUP board with a weight capacity of up to 800 pounds. The large size and weight capacity means you can bring along your dog and partner on a fun exploration of whatever water body you like.
Being inflatable means you can deflate it and easily roll it up like a sleeping bag for ease of storage and transport. When you’re itching to hit the water, you use the included high-pressure pump to inflate it in a short while. At 8 inches of thickness, nothing will come close to puncturing this SUP.
We loved the handling of this particular board given its massive size. Even with two people on the board, we could do some few ticks with. We’re a bit disappointed that a board this size only comes with a single paddle board.
- Weight capacity of 800 pounds.
- Accommodates more than 1 rider.
- High quality material with 8 inches of thickness.
- Easy to maneuver for its large size.
- No bungee cord.
This is one of the boards we recommend if you’d love to go on the water with a loved one or for fishing as it’s very reliable.
7. CBC Hydra 10’6” Foam SUP Pkg w/Paddle and Single Fin
Another solid board we readily recommend is this one from CBC (California Board Co). Its has a weight capacity of 300 pounds. It comes as a full package including all the needed accessories you’ll need for hours of fun on the water.
Made with high density EPS foam and a core that’s 100% waterproof and an included leash, this board will last ages with proper care on your end. It even has a camera mount for recording the fun times.
For transportation, you get a padded roof rack ensuring no damage is rendered on the board as you head to the water. Its paddle is also adjustable can be adjusted from 63” to 83” which is a major advantage to have for people with different heights.
We loved the addition of a handle for when you’re carrying it around under your arm. Since few people can stretch their arms all the way across the board, the little handle makes it much easier carrying it.
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds.
- Made of high quality EPS foam.
- Waterproof core for longevity.
- Has a camera mount.
- Comes with a padded roof rack for easy transportation.
- Adjustable paddle (63”to 83” length).
- Included surf leash.
- Can be tough storing due to its large size.
If you prefer solid boards and weigh about 300 pounds, you can’t go wrong with this one.
8. Atoll SUP Board
While the weight capacity for this Atoll board is 400 pounds, tests with up to 700 pounds of weight have yielded positive results. This is mainly due to its Hard Board Mimicker feature which requires inflation to 15 PSI in which the board becomes so hard it almost works like a hard board.
It is, however, 40% lighter than most other inflatable paddle boards thanks to the lightness and quality of its materials. At 32 inches of width, it’s very stable and will allow for the performance of some difficult tricks on the water. This is further aided by the tri-fin system which affords more stability and speed.
You’ll get it in light blue, army green, and desert sand colors and it comes with 6 D-rings, a bungee cord, a paddle, center fin, backpack, leash and a dual-action pump. It deflates into a small package for easy packing.
- Weight capacity of 400 pounds.
- Lightweight and highly durable construction.
- Tri-fin design for stability and ease of pulling tricks off.
- Available in 3 colors.
- Comes with bungee cord, 6 D-rings, paddle, backpack and other accessories.
- Inflates to 15 PSI.
- It’s tough inflating it to 15 PSI with the pump as lots of energy is needed especially from 13PSI upwards.
This paddle board performs very well compared to many other inflatable SUPs on the market.
9. VoltSurf – 11’ All-Around – iSUP Inflatable Paddle Board Kit + Leash & Backpack w/Wheels (6 Inch Thick)
Available in black, orange, pink, turquoise, and yellow, this VoltSurf inflatable SUP supports weight up to 320 pounds. It has the highest quality materials and easily passes as one of the best iSUP for big guys.
The collapsible paddle, also adjustable, is one fo the best when it comes to accommodating riders at different heights and weights. Even when you can collapse it to a small size, it’s a very rigid piece when in use.
The dual action pump included with this SUP is one of the most efficient we’ve tested so far. Although we broke a sweat pumping it to 15PSI, we loved the result as it turns out to be a very rigid board when fully inflated.
The removable fin for this SUP is similar to what you get in the solid paddle boards. As such, you can easily get yourself a new fin if the ones included were to get lost. Even better, it means your stability will be great on this board.
It’s an easy SUP to live with as it comes with a backpack you can easily fold it into then head home. We loved the fact that it’s made of high quality material guaranteeing quality and longevity.
- Weight capacity of 320 pounds.
- High quality military-grade materials.
- Inflates to 15PSI for a very rigid and stable result.
- Has an adjustable paddle, backpack, dual action pump and other accessories.
- Not very durable.
If you’re on a budget and fall within this weight limit, this is a great board to try out.
10. Red Paddle Co Voyager Tandem Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board – 15’
Rounding off our list of the best 10 paddle boards of big guys is the Voyager Tandem from the Red Paddle Co. Tandem paddle boarding refers to paddling down by more than one person and this board excels at that.
With a weight capacity of 700 pounds and enough space for two paddlers, your time on the water is guaranteed to the fun. Its performance is very much like that of a hard board even when it’s inflatable. At 8 inches of thickness, not even the sharp rocks will puncture this one.
It has 7 soft touch carry handles for easy carrying by a single person or more and 2 luggage spaces for that fishing trip. With a length of 15 feet and the shape for speed and pulling off tricks, it’s one of our best tandem SUPs.
It comes with a Titan pump, HP pump, repair kit, FCS connect fin, an all-terrain backpack and a water-resistant phone case.
- Weight cavity of 700 pounds.
- 8” thick materials for durability.
- 7 soft touch handles.
- Can be used by 2 people at once.
- Comes with backpack, waterproof phone case, Titan pump, FCS connect fin and a repair kit.
- A bit difficult to control as one person.
For tandem paddling which doesn’t go beyond two people, this is the best option.
When buying a new paddle board and you’re on the heavier side, you should consider the following aspects:
The Weight Capacity
This one is almost obvious although easy to forget. For one, having a paddle board which accommodates your weight is important as it shows how strong the board will be. In our experience, going for a board with about 50 pounds more than your actual weight is the best choice as it offers the best experience on water.
If you’re going to carry along some gear, accommodate its weight as well since it adds to the total weight on the board and affects its performance too. Even with the gear on the board, the 50-pound provision should always be considered.
The Amount of Float
The float of the board is its volume as it determines how buoyant the board will be. In our reviews, inflatable boards were thicker hence had more volume than their solid counterparts. They thus floated better especially when fully inflated. For bigger guys, this is a major point to consider.
Purpose for Getting the Board
If you’re going for a board for the sake of recreation, an inflatable one will serve you just fine. However, if it’s for competition, a solid board always performs better in terms of control and maneuverability. However, there are some good quality inflatables which can perform quite well too.
While most inflatables paddle boards will inflate to about 10PSI, higher PSI values bring in the advantage of the Hard Board Mimicker feature. This simply means the board is inflated to levels which provide a lot of the advantages of solid board such as stiffness and better control.
Quality of Materials
If you choose any material less than the best quality EPS foam or PVC, you’ll be easily disappointed as the board will get damaged quite fast. Thick and tough materials are the best for large guys and long term use.
The length of the board dictates how much control you’ll have on the board. Too little of it and it won’t bare your weight correctly. Too much of it and you’ll have too large a board to control. Larger boards are generally more stable but slower and harder to control.
These aspects should guide you to finding the right board.
Further SUP Ideas & How-tos
- How to Prepare for Paddleboarding
- What to Wear for Stand Up Paddleboarding?
- How to Paddle Board: SUP Techniques, Strokes & Tips for Beginners
- How to Get on a Paddle Board, After Falling & from a Dock
- How many Calories does Paddleboarding Burn?
- Best SUP Workouts to Instantly Improve your Paddling
- Benefits of Paddleboarding(SUP)
- Types of Stand Up Paddleboards
- How Long Do Inflatable Paddle Boards Last?
- What Size Paddle Board Do I Need?
- Inflatable vs Solid/Rigid Paddleboards
- Best Bamboo Paddle Boards Review + Buy Guide
- How to Store SUPs
- Best SUP Pumps