When you’re out on the water, you might want to carry along some essentials which may not readily play nice with the water. Your mobile phone, for example, is important yet you can’t put it in your pockets when out on the water.
One solution to this problem is having a fanny pack. Also called a hip pack or waist bag, the fanny pack is a waterproof bag you sling around the body and carry the items you need with you in watery areas. This comes in handy when using large backpacks or other such items is difficult or impractical.
In finding the best fanny packs for snorkeling, we looked at various aspects such as the zips, pockets, sealing systems, bottle pockets, the fabric used, their sizes and the fabric they’re made with. We then rounded up the best for your picking.
Riptide Waterproof Fanny Pack Pouch for Men and Women (2 Pack)
Available in blue and violet, clear, opaque black and sheer blue, opaque black/clear black and sheer pink, opaque orange and sheer black or sheer green and opaque orange, this 2 pack is one of the best when it comes to securing valuables underwater or on the surface.
The bags are made with polymer material which is waterproof, durable, flexible, lightweight and smooth. The clear variants of these bags can also be used with touchscreen phones inside them. That’s very handy in making emergency calls in dangerous situations such as storms.
- The polymer makes the bag durable and lightweight.
- The bags are stadium-approved and can thus be used in sporting events as well as the water.
- They come in packs of two for the couples or if you want to keep one at hand for emergencies.
- The strap can be adjusted to be used as a waist bag or a sling bag over the shoulder.
- Has 3 locks which is one more than the average fanny pack. This provides a better seal than the rest.
- Some customers say the locks can be tough to open once closed.
This is a great value for those who wish to have a waterproof fanny pack they can use in the water or in sporting events.
Aquapac Waist Pack
Available in Cool Blue, Acid Green and Black, the Aquapac Waist Pack is one of the best when it comes to fanny packs for the water adventures. It has two pockets all with waterproof zippers. The front pocket helps the user easily access some items on the fly.
The pack is made with 500D vinyl material which ensures it’s waterproof even when water at high pressure is sprayed at it. The Aquapac is also large enough for most of your valuables and has a waist strap with a padded section for the best comfort.
- The two pockets offer quick access to the essentials.
- 3 liters in size for most of your items when on the water.
- The pack is 100% waterproof at IPX6. This means it can work even under pressurized water without a drop entering the pack.
- Available in three beautiful colors.
- Needs proper closing to provide the best seal.
Another one of the good fanny packs you can rely on when out on the water.
Skog Å Kust FannySåk Airtight & Waterproof Floating Dry Waist Bag Case
This a durable, ultralight waist that is made from heavy duty nylon fabric coated with TPU. FannySak perfectly seals out water, mud, sand and dust, ensuring your valuables are safe while you snorkel.
It is ideal for travel, vacation, sports and every day carry. It can be worn around your waist or you can simply sling it over your shoulder or strap it to your bike or kayak
- Made with 420D TPU-coated rip-stop nylon
- Heat taped seams lock out water, mud, sand and dust
- High-visibility white TPU coating on the inside
- Lightweight – weighs only 6.5 oz
- The waterproof main compartment features an airtight zipper
- Water-resistant exterior pocket features a splash-proof zipper
- Interior features an elastic mesh dividing pocket and key clip
- Comfortable non-chaffing nylon webbing
- Straps are adjustable up to 46″ – suitable for most ages and sizes
iKuShang Waterproof Pouch
You can find the iKuShang waterproof pouch in packs of 2 or 3 pouches all with the same quality. The available colors include black and pink, blue and black and transparent, black and transparent, black and gray, orange and transparent, pink and pink, or pink and transparent. basically, you can match the colors the way you want.
The pouches come with a triple seal which ensures that no drop of water enters the inside when you’re about your business. You can also use a touchscreen phone when it’s inside the pouch thanks to the polymer material used to create the bags.
- You can use a touchscreen phone while inside the bag which is very handy to the user especially in emergencies.
- The high-quality waterproofing ensures that the pouch can be used in water, snow, dust and even sand without it contents being harmed.
- Large capacity that can hold many different items such as phones and licenses.
- Weighs only 3.4 ounces making it light and convenient.
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee from iKuShang which provides confidence and peace of mind when using it.
- Comes in packs of 2 or 3 for multiple uses.
- You should ensure that it’s perfectly closed before dealing with water for the best seal.
The size, design and weight of this set of fanny packs makes them quite useful to the user. We love them.
YETI Sidekick Dry
The YETI Sidekick Dry is a pouch with a belt that effectively turns it into a fanny pack. You can use it to carry many different items be it your phone, keys, your licenses and even a few snacks as you snorkel or paddle on the water. It comes with a dryhide shell to keep the water out. This is the same material used in whitewater rafts and is thus highly durable and effective at keeping things dry.
This pouch uses a magnetic system to keep the water tightly out. When using it, I noticed that the magnet is so powerful that accidentally knocking the seal on a rock or other obstacle under water doesn’t break it open. It also comes in beautiful coral or field tan colors to pick from.
- The dryhide shell is durable and won’t break apart when in use.
- The seams are RF-welded meaning the seal is very tight and won’t allow any water to go through.
- The closure uses a hydroshield which employs magnets to seal the bag tightly from the water.
- Needs proper sealing to prevent the bag from letting in water. Before getting into the water, you should ensure the two sides of the seal align correctly.
Although a little pricey, this fanny pack is great at keeping the water out and looking cool while at it.
Blue Sky BASICS Waterproof Pouch with Waist Strap (2 Pack)
If you worry a lot about your phone and valuables getting wet when in or on the water, these packs from Blue Sky BASICS have you covered. They will keep the water away from your valuables up to 10 meters (32 feet) inside the water.
Even better, you can still use your phone when it’s still in the pouch and you’re deep in the water. At 9 by 6.7 inches in size, it’s a large pouch which can help you handle the snorkeling or paddling sessions with confidence. You also get them in packs of 2 for you and your partner.
- Large size to fit lots of essentials.
- Allows for use of a touchscreen device like a smartphone for emergencies.
- Can be fully submerged for up to 10 feet in the water without any water entering the pack.
- It comes with an adjustable strap to fit different waist sizes. It fits waists between 33.5 and 47.5 inches wide.
- Lifetime warranty for peace of mind.
- Strong seals to keep out the water.
- Like the other packs, it needs to be sealed properly before providing a watertight seal.
An easy choice if you want something sleek and handy for your essentials as you head out to the water.
Venterior Waterproof Pouch with Adjustable Strap
Wrapping up our list is the Venterior waterproof fanny pack which comes in packs of 2. You can find it in black, blue and white. It comes with a triple lock mechanism which ensures that your essential items are secure from the water as you carry out any activities. You can use it when snorkeling, diving or even the beachback since it keeps out the sand as well.
This pack is rated IPX8 which means that it can withstand immersion in water up to 2 meters (6.5 feet) without a drop of water entering the pack. The belt included can fit those with waists up to 44 inches wide which means almost everyone is accommodated.
- Can be worn around the waist, neck or shoulders owing to the adjustable straps.
- The triple sealing makes the pack both airtight and watertight for the most sensitive items.
- Proven to be waterproof given the IPX8 rating.
- Comes with a 2-year replacement and 60-day return policies for peace of mind.
- Large enough for most essentials you may need.
- Given that it’s airtight, it might overheat electronics if they’re left in it for too long and in hot conditions.
This Fanny pack looks cool and still provides one of the highest protection levels from water for your valuables.
SealLine Seal Pak Waterproof Hip Pack
Available in heathered blue and heathered olive, the SealLine Pak Hip Pack can be used for many different sports including traveling, paddling, fishing and even snorkeling with a handsfree experience. It’s quite large at 4 liters of capacity. That’s 5 by 9 by 7 inches in dimensions and weighs only 6.24 pounds.
The seams are RF welded meaning no drop of water will go through the seams to your valuables no matter the conditions. It also comes with two pockets with the main one at the top while the other one is located to the side. They’re both easy to access when the bag is strapped to the waist.
- Large size allows for carrying many valuable items at once.
- Can be used across many water activities.
- The bag is PVC-free meaning it won’t harm the environment.
- The RF welded seams prevent all water from entering.
- Has two easy to use pockets at the top.
- The belt can be extended for different waist sizes.
This is one of the best bags for holding larger items when out on the water.
If you’re in the market for a fanny pack that withstands the water, you should consider the following aspects:
The sealing method
In this category, you find fanny packs with a single, double or triple sealing method. The higher the number of seals used, the better the seal will be from the water. The most reasonable number of seals is 3 since it provides a watertight seal while allowing for easy access to your valuables.
The durability of your fanny pack determines how long you will use it before it breaks apart and lets in water. Knowing this helps determine how long you have before needing to replace the fanny pack. Always go for the one with the highest durability.
Materials such as Velcro, polymers and others can be used to make the fanny packs. For the best results, go for the materials which are naturally waterproof such as polymers. These won’t have any compromises and will keep your items in good shape.
Size of fanny pack
The size of the fanny pack determines how much it will carry for you. If you only need a little pack to carry your phone and a few small items, don’t go for an oversized pack. However, you might need more and larger items with you on the water hence the need for a larger pack.
The seams and zippers used
When going for a fanny pack that’s waterproof, go for one with an RF welded seam since it’s the best for this purpose. If the water can find its way into the pack through the zippers and seams, it’s no good for your use.
Warranty and return policy
You should also consider the warranty and the return policy since they determine what you will do in the case of a problem with your fanny pack. Also, they show how confident the manufacturer is in their products. Generally, the longer the warranty and return policy, the better the product.
You might need some features such as transparency to use your phone while on the water. You might also need a larger strap which can accommodate larger users or one that can be used for the shoulders, waist and neck. These features are quite important for some cases especially when you’re using your phone or other gear in the water.
With these aspects in mind, you can get the best deal on your fanny packs. Keep in mind that they hold items that may cost you a lot when they get damaged by water. For this reason, choose your packs correctly.
More about Snorkeling
- Snorkeling-Meaning, History, Application Benefits & FAQs
- Do You Need to Know How to Swim to Snorkel
- Full-face Snorkel Masks vs Traditional/Regular Masks
- How Does a Snorkel Work?
- How Much Does it Cost to Snorkel??
- Top Snorkeling Quotes, Funny Puns & Jokes for your Captions
Best Snorkel Gear
- Best Full Face Snorkel Masks
- 10 Best Snorkeling Fins
- Best Snorkeling Vests/Jackets: Inflatable & Buying Guide
- Best Underwater Cameras for Snorkeling
- Best Snorkeling Water Shoes for Women & Men + Buying Guide
- How to Clean a Snorkel Gear: Snorkel Mouthpiece, Mask, and Fins
- Complete Snorkeling Gear Guide: Choose the Perfect Equipment for Your Next Underwater Adventure
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Details here